Welcome! :) On this blog you will find stories, how i play and videos created with The Sims 4, but also a few projects from older game versions can be found in the Archive. The old TS3 stories have their own blogs. Most long going stories have a main page with index of updates.

Check out Simmerville's Youtube channel!

I'm no longer on Tumblr! I refused to give all their 3rd parties unlimited access to my computer. Link still works, but no updates.

News May 2022: Mazaloom History Book.

Thursday 3 October 2019

Bon Voyage Retirement Home - Part 1 of 5

[Y220] Want to run a Retirement Home in your game? The first of two retirement homes just opened in my Region 12! In this post I'll let the fresh Manager give you a tour, as she also explains how the place is meant to be run and what her job will be. She just moved in to get it all started!

See bottom line if you want this lot!


Bon Voyage Retirement Home is aiming for wealthier elders. With a live-in Manager serving gourmet food, they are probably prepared to pay what it takes. The second retirement home will open in San Myshuno, but will have no such live-in management, and will aim for those with less Simoleons to spend.

So - welcome to Bon Voyage, located at the finer Upperton hood in my Gloomville (aka Willow Creek). The building is kinda ordinary, and the outdoors area is limited, but remember these lodgers will normally live regular lives, not being stuck to this lot for the rest of their lives. It's supposed to be a home to active elders.

The first Manager was hired in Year 220. Tammy Oaksdale (32) grew up at Willow Farm in Gloomville, as the only child she is in line to inherit the family farm, but her parents are still Adults, they are in no hurry handing their house over to Tammy. Also, Tammy's boyfriend since teenage days is still a teen for a couple more years. So, she grabbed this opportunity to fill the next waiting years with a challenge! Let's hear what she thinks about this all...:


- Hello! I'm Tammy, and I'm kinda thrilled I was accepted for this job despite not having all the skills they requested. I never cooked gourmet food or made flower arrangements, but because Bon Voyage has no lodgers at the moment there will be a few quiet days when I can focus on building those skills. I am experienced at gardening, and one of my duties here is to grow some of the food that I'll prepare.

I am a little shaky to get started, it feels like a huge experiment, and I might fail financially. All furniture and current equipment is property of Region 12, and they rent the building from Ground Up, Inc.  I'm seen as a renter, technically, my rent is subtracted from my pay check. My net pay will be limited, but that's where this challenge comes into play. The rest of my possible income will depend on how well I run this place. Or this risky business, as my mom likes to put it...

After moving in, my cash balance is §10.000. This is not my money, and whenever I quit this job and move out, I must also leave §10.000 for the next Manager. I will charge lodgers, and the deal will be to make that income cover all costs and with a little extra for me. The big question right now is what the costs will be, I have no idea as this place is brand new. Region 12 Council promised me that rent from lodgers can be adjusted every 5 years, but not with more than 20%. So this will still be a bit scary to me.

Curious to learn more about this place? I'll show you what Bon Voyage Retirement Home has on offer for the lodgers:


On ground floor we have the common rooms, like dining room (2) where I will serve breakfast at 7 PM and dinner at 4 PM, Living room (6) where I will arrange some weekly events like comedy and concerts, and the library (7) with books and card games. There is only one toilet downstairs (5), but all lodgers have their private bathroom upstairs.

The manager section is accessible to me, only: The kitchen (3) has a door into my private living/bathroom (11+12). And behind the kitchen there is a raw kitchen (4) where I will do some cooking as well as flower arrangements.

The hallway (1) leads to the upstairs sections.


The 4 lodger sections all contain a livingroom, bathroom and bedroom large enough for a double bed. A and D are 49 floor tiles, each section costing §490. B and C are 56 floor tiles and cost §560 to rent. In addition the lodgers will pay §500 for food, heating, water and so on. I charge them for 5 years in advance, and there is no refunds if they die before the paid period is up. I don't think this will cover my bills and other costs, but it's too early to tell.


So, on my first day I ate a late breakfast in the dining room. I'm all alone, so I didn't even care to get dressed, but it was freezing cold outside and I will try not turning on the heater while it's just me. Need to reduce costs while possible!


This is my private dwelling. I like the room, although the wallpaper is not quite my style. It will probably help to decorate a little. Anyway, I might just stay here for 5 years, so there is no need to waste my money on wallpapers.


In the livingroom is not what I would say cozy, but my plan is to involve the lodgers to help decorating over time. There is a lounge as well as several small tables with chairs to watch the performances - or just to relax. Region 12 has decided not to provide common TV-set, so I guess this place will be rather quiet, or that lodgers will have their own preferred entertainment in their rooms.


I like the library, it will inspire me to read up on those skills. I also have a desk and computer for management in the raw kitchen.


The stairs are not spectacular, but they work. There should have been some floor mats but I think I'll leave that to the next management.


The four private units take most of the 2nd floor, but in the hall there is a small lounge bar where I'm supposed to serve drinks. This do worry me a bit, because lodgers might actually cause higher costs by drinking too much. I might need to limit this service to a few nights only, hoping they will not serve themselves.

Well - did I say I could read up on my skills on my first day? Wrong! A group of curious neighbors were at the door before noon, wanting to come inside. I quickly dressed in a slightly more formal attire and greeted them. Most of them were neighbors, so of course I had to invite them inside.


Gunther and Charlotta Crumpleton, and Charlotta's old mother, Wilma Crumpleton.


Then also Bud von Kaching (Region 12 Councilor for Trades & Taxes) and a townie joined the little group, as I showed them the facilities. I was rather tense, but I guess I must learn to set my own needs aside. Running this place means most lodgers will probably see me as their servant - regardless of my mood.


It turned out Wilma Crumpleton is 88 and planning to leave the family villa to next generation. If moving in at Bon Voyage she wanted to bring her 2 cats, which I had to disapprove. No pets are allowed, at least not 2 cats. A goldfish, perhaps... Wilma was still interested but wanted to discuss it with her daughter afterwards.


Then we had some fruitcake baked by Bud von Kaching. He insisted that he visited as a neighbor, but the cake was from the Region 12 Council.


So... first day was kinda nice - until the group had left and I wanted to practice my cooking skills. I started a kitchen fire! Replacing the stove reduced my cash balance with §1000 - what a bad start!

To be continued... (this is a mini series in 5 parts)

PS: Leave a comment if you want this lot on the gallery. It's not there now, but can be uploaded on request :)

No comments:

Post a Comment