Welcome! :) On this blog you will find stories, how i play and videos created with The Sims 4, but also a few projects from older game versions can be found in the Archive. The old TS3 stories have their own blogs. Most long going stories have a main page with index of updates.

Check out Simmerville's Youtube channel!

I'm no longer on Tumblr! I refused to give all their 3rd parties unlimited access to my computer. Link still works, but no updates.

News May 2022: Mazaloom History Book.

Monday 8 July 2019

The horror of creating a new family

Oh my, have I got blood on my hands!

Whenever I create a new family, I normally also create their ancestors. A young adult sim's parents and probably also a couple siblings. I do this in order to give the new arrival some background story, get a more or less random DNA passed down from parents to the sim I will keep. I also use an additional DNA string that I must handle manually, I want to get it all right. Temporarily bringing the entire family into the game also allows me to create a couple family portraits for the new household's photo wall.


But after those photos are framed on the wall for future generations to admire, those extra household members will no longer be needed. So, like the picture above suggests, it's slaughtering time! Ugh...

I wish there could have been some easier and less dramatic way to clean out family members, but no, we need to starve them! It's quickly but brutal, and Grim Reaper must be bothered with this extra visit. I'm sure he detests me by now.

I could just have deleted those elders, but then they would probably have been forever alive in that family tree. Those extra siblings though, they might be better off to the non-played bin. Either they get culled by the game, or I can bring them to a meeting with GR when their time is up.

Do you go through lots of fuzz like this when you create a new household?

3 comments:

  1. François25/7/19 18:13

    Hello Simmerville, I wonder how you do to play rotationally with the Sims 4 ? If you select "aging active household", all the household you play will age. Do you play with aging off ? If so, how do you manage to kill elders ? And with pregnancies that continues even when not playing the household ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Francois! Thanks for commenting! Yes, I do play rotationally, but I stop with the families I want to play, and might skip others until a later rotation. I've split my worlds into 2 groups, checking only on 1 group per year.

      I play with aging off, and only turn that on for one night (normally New Years Eve). I also age up non-played sims that night. Up til now I had the shortest seasons, 7 days, but has now doubled it to make time to stop longer at the houses.

      With the Seasons calendar I think time is working well in TS4. The only negative is that pregnancy lasts only 3 days, while I'd rather see it last for 9 months/3 seasons. But I can live with that. In my notes I use 9 months to set in what season the child was born, then I just wait stopping by that huse while the baby shouldn't really be there yet.

      Killing elders - it's a problem, so I mostly let the live until their lifestage is full. That would normally take 10 years +/- technically. Some who took way too long (because I played differently in the past) I killed by leaving them outdoors in extreme heat or cold wearing the wrong hot/cold outfit. They will die from heat/cold within hours. I have the UI Cheat cheat, allowing me to set their hunger to all red, which make them collaps right away and die from hunger.

      Delete
    2. Adding - when installing a new pack etc, I might play one extra round without aging anyone up. That's nice when there is lots of new stuff to check out and when adjustments should be done in most households. Or I just wanna play a new character for a series of years, ie with new features that came with Get Famous.

      Delete