Welcome! :) On this blog you will find stories, how i play and videos created with The Sims 4, but also a few projects from older game versions can be found in the Archive. The old TS3 stories have their own blogs. Most long going stories have a main page with index of updates.

Check out Simmerville's Youtube channel!

I'm no longer on Tumblr! I refused to give all their 3rd parties unlimited access to my computer. Link still works, but no updates.

News May 2022: Mazaloom History Book.

Sunday 7 June 2020

Dumpster Diving Businesses

[The Sims 4 Eco Lifestyle] So, this new pack has arrived, and after lots of hours exploring and playing it still feels like I've not even started. As with every new addition there are some surprises, some disappointments - and even some features you didn't know you were missing. Although it feels like I hardly scratched the surface, I'd say that this pack adds to the game on several levels. You'll find plenty of new activities good for making money as well as building the character as well as a community feel, but there is also lots of content that might look a bit dull and "done with", but that will have an impact in the long run.

The new features seem well thought out and might have an impact on old activities, too. Like dumpster diving is a way to collect upgrade parts, which will be great to anyone with high handiness skills. You can find old furniture that can be up-scaled and used (perfect for students and young settlers) or sold as retail. You can find Eco-upgrade parts. Ink for candle making and Fabrication. And probably a lot more.

Small 5x2 or 5x3 recycling stations like this is now popping up in all my worlds. Same design while content varies a bit.

San Myshuno got its first Public Recycling Station (pictured). It's small and this one includes only a dumpster and the recycling machine. I will use the same design when placing more stations like this in other hoods, but the content might vary a little. My sims will need this service permanently, not only as part of the random Community Space. Besides, this tiny installment can be added to many existing community lots regardless of lot category.

In my game each district has a certain cultural identity, there is a specific local history, most worlds having their District Order, signature colors and plants and more. So I decided to use the local colors on the public Eco facilities as well. Will need to refine this in the future, though, as the idea shaped after some stuff was added ;).


I also added plain dumpsters to most of my hoods. They are typically located in the backyard of a restaurant, café or shopping mall. It looks fitting, and my poor sims won't need to travel far to treasure hunt.

Pictured above is Heidi L. Wooblershield visiting the café in Windenburg's harbor area to look for bits and pieces for her home based candle production. She is married to a Politician with four children in a tiny country house, and crafts candles small scale.


At another café in Windenburg's Oldtown there was a perfect sheltered spot for a recycling machine, and two dumpsters right outside.


And this is one of Heidi's children assisting his mom by going dumpster diving. Yes, children can do it also! I suspect they will find only smaller stuff though, like upgrade parts and ink, perhaps, not so much double beds and fridges. It makes sense if a child can't bring home the biggest stuff all alone.

Most findings go directly into the household inventory, meaning your household members can cooperate rationally. One can go diving while another is recycling. Once recycled the item transfers into resource points that can be seen by hovering the mouse over your household's funds.

Btw, a café guest walked by - why by Similius is he having the red glow? I never saw that before - he is very much alive. Was it something he consumed in the café? I hope this pack did not introduce a new set of glowing auras, I don't want to see this in my future videos...!


Above is Cheyenne B. Schwaini, another of my candle makers, diving at Mugger Fair - next door to her poor off-the-grid home. This lot is an old Farmers Market, I've not decided yet whether it will be turned into a Community Space. I'm planning several of those, but want to get familiar with their con and pro before spending time on building them all. I've only made one in Windenburg so far, and it looks like a fun feature that I will write about later.


I don't recall who dived into the dumpsters outside the Rattlesnake Bar in Oasis Springs in the late hours. Anyway, dumpster diving looks kind of silly, but the animations are varied and entertaining, and I find it amusing to watch my sims. I wish they would find it even more disgusting, but I admit that it would be annoying if they got all stinky with the green odor after just a couple dives.

Sims can also woohoo and take a nap in the dumpster. I didn't try either of them yet, but it will sure be interesting walking by a dumpster where NPCs are busy :) This far I only saw a handful NPCs dive into a public dumpster, and I already fear the moment I will witness Duchess Claudine de Cavalier or Baroness Rose von Kaching of Gloom jumping into the trash - wearing their formal gala with sashes and tiaras. I wish NPC dumpster diving was triggered by traits or skills, maybe it is, like a Snob with household worth of more than §100.000 and Good Manners would not do this by free will. But I'm prepared to see total randomness which will ruin my illusion of who are rich and poor. Whatever - it might be worth the laugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment