Welcome! :) On this blog you will find stories, how i play and videos created with The Sims 4, but also a few projects from older game versions can be found in the Archive. The old TS3 stories have their own blogs. Most long going stories have a main page with index of updates.

Check out Simmerville's Youtube channel!

I'm no longer on Tumblr! I refused to give all their 3rd parties unlimited access to my computer. Link still works, but no updates.

News May 2022: Mazaloom History Book.

Wednesday 11 December 2019

University Discoveries

[TS4 - picture thread] So, I've now enjoyed the Discover University pack for a couple weeks, and I'm still having lots of fun with it. I've focused on setting back time to graduate some of my older locals, who I imagine got a degree when hey were younger. It's been fun making them younger and dressing them up like students, especially hash business matrons like Corinne Dougham and Claudia Tangerin, who are some of the lead characters in my video series As Sims Go By (ASGB). I could of course have pretended they all got a degree and then cheated their career level, but I prefer the real thing! And - I wanted their graduation photo and diploma for their office walls :)

This is a picture thread, but I'll squeeze in some info, too. Who they are and some of the tricks I learned.


I did not count, but I probably graduated 20 locals so far, all taking place in the "past". Although graduation photos of the first lucky are black and white, I'll keep all pictures in this post unedited color wise.

I first had a group of 4 students staying on a residential lot in Gibbs Hill. It was also a test of what will become an officially substituted student lodging for my future locals, it will be politically decided in the next ASGB episode, so it actually did not yet take place :) Then I had a group in the huge dorm at Ubrite, and finally a large group in the dorm at Tidal Tower at Foxbury.


I found it quite easy to get everyone a degree with Honor, perhaps too easy, so the last group actually counted 8 active students! It was quite a handful, not the least because one of them failed to get accepted at Foxbury, so he had to stay in his own lodging in Gibbs Hill. Handling 2 households is very hard, because you can obviously be at only one lot at the time. So I basically just stopped by for a few hours at night, and left him to himself during the day. He got some Bs but achieved the Honors, like the others.

On the above picture (left side) you see the young versions of Lucille Carrington (to become a Doctor, married to Edvin Phlum), Nivert Hump (future Doctor who will lie in court about Victor Tangerin), Charloman Au. Crumpleton (not yet knowing that he will be married to the filthy rich Corinne Dougham and even become the region's Mayor). On right side you see Caspar Jupiter (future Meteoroligist), Razira Jupiter (Caspar's sister, to inherit their wealthy parents), and finally Sam Ferny (future Scientist to be a leading person at Landgraab Science Facility of Oasis Springs - will be featured in 3rd season of ASGB).


I like my minor adjustments to the Foxbury Commons. Added classroom and office there in the background, and the area next to the cafeteria is now a pool and gym with sauna and showers etc. It makes the huge commons appear as more active.


It's cool to see the place getting busy every now and then. There are even a few sims in the Professor's office back there...


I also modified the Gibbs Hill Pub slightly, by adding a dance floor and a Fussball table. Might do more there later, but I like the rustic style. Pictured above are young versions of Victor Fling (to become Tangerin), Edvin Phlum, Anita von Donnersmalt (the future Lawyer Ferney, featured in ASGB) and Claudia Tangerin - all dancing :) These 4 shared dorm and I'll post their campus story later - it's where Claudia met both her husband Victor and her lover Edvin...


Occasionally there appears a weird situation, or a funny creature is running by. I wonder if she just forgot to put on the full costume?


In one dorm a familiar character signed in - the famous Dirk Dreamer (?). He has at least 3 stars, and it was good to see that he did not distract the other students at all. Not a single student asked for his autograph, but he did cheer for photographers at least once. Maybe they are all considered one household, including the NPCs?


In a dorm you can lock doors - which I hardly did, but I did put a "center piece" on my active students' desks. By placing any item there, the other students won't occupy your desk. A small decorative that can be dragged without switching to BB mode is best. I used a book, with a risk that someone would actually pick it up to read...


Students are extremely social! Even if their social needs are filled, they will prefer to chat more than they read. I didn't stress this because I knew that they would mostly get their homework done in time anyway. Studying alone is quicker, so I cancelled interactions whenever someone needed to speed up their homework progress. I can't remember who's bed this was - no chance to get a rest on it anyway...


Here's a picture from the latest group in my Gibbs Hill dorm. It's a residential lot where my local students stay, joined by a few NPC housemates. At the dining table you see Morgan Fyres (Joanna's younger sister) and Dora Gupta (daughter of food critic Myra Gupta), I think it's Luna Villareal on the computer, and Jade Rosa is the one in pink sleepwear. These are current Students who should stay on campus, but they had to be gathered here because they go to both universities and I don't want 2 student households.

I've tested this house thoroughly, and I'm sure it will work well. I play on rotation, and most locals will stay here. You can follow the development of the dorm in the few upcoming ASGB episodes. It starts with just 4 beds, but in a few years it will double.


The unlucky NPC student was warming herself on the fire, then she caught fire. I don't recall if the viola playing NPC student even stopped playing. Anyway, the drama ended without anyone harmed. Some might say that catching fire is nothing compared to doing your homework in front of a 1st term student practicing on her viola for 6 hours straight...


I have already established a few traditions for my students. They no longer have a Wall of Honor in each dorm, but one in each Commons. Instead, I make sure they take a few happy snapshots to decorate a dorm wall. Above it's Razira Jupiter (Oasis Springs) and Hugo Bootwig (Gloomville) posing.


Talking about Hugo - you might have seen his mother Constanza Bootwig in the mentioned video series, she is the one trying to keep up appearance, although she is not as rich as their neighbors. Well, she naturally photographed Hugo when he returned back home from graduation. Proud mom!

There was a downside though - Hugo worked as a Scientist (Geologist) for many years, but for some reason I had chosen Biology as his degree when I sent him back in time. Bad mistake as Biology won't give him any Science career level jump! So he had to start on level 1, way below the level he actually had achieved! Ha ha, this household seems to be forever unlucky...


Exam day can get kinda intense as most students get very nervous or even sick. Here is Lilith Pleasant getting a red spots disease only 30 minutes before the start of her final exam!


Let's end this long post like it started - the graduation! At Foxbury Commons there is a Wall of Honor, and all students graduating with Honors go there as soon as they received their diploma. Unfortunately the graduation portrait can't be copied, so I make sure they all get a portrait taken by another student. If I send a single student I will just bring in an extra photographer temporarily. Anyway, a picture wall like this will be so cool to watch (and join) for generations to come! And - if you graduate with no Honors - well, then you can keep your photo to yourself :)

More University posts later this month, stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment