Welcome! :) On this blog you will find stories, how i play and videos created with The Sims 4, but also a few projects from older game versions can be found in the Archive. The old TS3 stories have their own blogs. Most long going stories have a main page with index of updates.

Check out Simmerville's Youtube channel!

I'm no longer on Tumblr! I refused to give all their 3rd parties unlimited access to my computer. Link still works, but no updates.

News May 2022: Mazaloom History Book.

Sunday 15 November 2020

Platforms tool = testing the new feature

 (Year 225) So, we got platforms with the November 10 patch, and this feature is really great! It gives variety to houses, larger floors can be sectioned in new ways, stairs can be built in endless versions and stages can finally be built without occupying the foundation.


I am currently rebuilding the Von Windenburg Estate, and I made use of the platforms to create a slightly more inviting staircase leading to the front door. The picture is from early stage, but I love that with this kind of arrangement we can now place potted plants onto the steps! I never missed that, but now I want this possibility on every lot, LOL.

It was a little tricky to make the platform meet the foundation. It did not work to drag the foundation towards the foundation, but it worked when dragging the platform towards the foundation. When dragging does not work, moving away the tallest platform step, and then replacing it worked. Also rails can be tricky, but by first adding walls and then add fence to the wall (instead of drawing the fence) works. However, this construction caused some cell error, I had to remove the tallest platform temporarily in order to adjust inner walls.

Next on my list was improving my cultural venues with real stages. My musicians, singers, comedians, actors - and even some politicians and club leaders giving speeches - occasionally use a stage.

Up to now all stages were floor flat, just indicated by a different floor texture and perhaps a line. It worked, although paparazzi and fans would easily join the celebrity on stage rather than take a seat in the audience. Cool for smaller vibrant clubs, but not so cool for the more formal performances at my cultural house, "Fun Factory". So, the platform feature was more than welcome, but would the audience actually be in the same room as what happened on stage? I sent my fresh Comedian to the popular club in Newcrest. Sorry for the dark pictures, he is a vampire so it suited him well. 


Building the stage caused no problem, you just need to move all affected objects out of the way while building. I chose a rather tall version for this club because the ceiling is high and the room is kinda tiny, like a small intimate venue should be. This is mostly known as a jazz scene (bar upstairs), but also the comedian club, Ha-ha! Comedians hang out here to test out their new jokes.

With more lamps I think it all will look decent. Stage entrance is now limited to the narrow passage behind the curtain to the right. If paparazzi will still access stage, the performer can simply lock the backstage door. If a group attends to say tell jokes, I might just teleport them onto the stage, though.


The backstage area is about as squeezed and poorly equipped as a small venue like this would offer. There's room for a love seat, a make up table and a tiny toilet. Not a facility that big names would enjoy, but perfect for those just started out showbiz sims, or simple events where costume and makeup is less important. In RL I imagine a celeb could even bring their own restroom van ;)


When returning to the stage I was kind of excited to find that a person was already seated - yay, an audience! The jokes were very poor, but the detective looking stranger applauded anyway, so they were definitely not in two separated rooms, technically.


Then he got up, pulled out a board and let's pretend he was not under N.A.P. influence, but wrote a quick review from this show :)

Platforms are great for so many purposes, not only the typical cultural stage.


The huge room at Foxbury Commons always annoyed me a bit. I split it up long ago, adding a swimming pool (behind the glass walls in background) and a class room and the Principal's office. Now I also added a platform for the café, just one step tall, but still breaking up the room even more. Also got rid of those rugs under the dining tables, I don't really think a students' café would have those, much easier to clean that floor without rugs, besides the platform is now doing what the rugs did ;) 


In some of my worlds there is a speaker's corner. I used the platform to make it a tiny bit more formal. As you can see, I use the "Research and Debate" podium for these local corners, I think it's a nifty arena for future (or former) students and Politicians to practice their skill :)

I also played a bit with platforms for old graves. The picture below is from the crypt under Church of Similius, and I don't really know who are resting there. I'm not happy with the platform texture - why didn't they give us plain black - would be useful for a lot more than old graves...


I will use platforms to build family graves on my public graveyards, for those more upper crust families at least. Castles might also have a crypt in their basement.

Finally: I reckon it would be better testing that jazz club with a real celeb instead of a fresh comedian, so I sent my leading jazz singer, Olivia Clump there...


Oh yeah! Olivia is a 4 stars celeb and easily attracted a larger group right away, even a paparazzi attended. Just one fan entered stage through the backstage door, so it should definitely be locked during events.

Now off to upgrade my main venue, Fun Factory : In a future post I'll show all my stages available to my performers :)

2 comments:

  1. love the stages for performing and debate, also the graves! so creative

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Platforms are really a great asset to the game!

      Delete