Welcome! :) On this blog you will find stories, how i play and videos created with The Sims 4, but also a few projects from older game versions can be found in the Archive. The old TS3 stories have their own blogs. Most long going stories have a main page with index of updates.

Check out Simmerville's Youtube channel!

I'm no longer on Tumblr! I refused to give all their 3rd parties unlimited access to my computer. Link still works, but no updates.

News May 2022: Mazaloom History Book.

Thursday 5 January 2023

Mt. Komorebi - adding from other packs (two years late)

Every now and then I skipped a pack release. Both because I was too busy with my game, not really having the time to explore a new pack, or because the theme interested me only slightly. There will always be something good in a new expansion pack, but if the main content is not my cup of tea, then I'll at least skip it at full price.

With Snowy Escape it was the Winter theme that did not appeal to me. With Seasons I already had snow and Winter, and the Asian culture did not really fit with my game style, either. But this Winter I gave in as I basically wanted one more world - I had fletched out two more nations and although they will not be played in detail, everything gets easier if their land actually exists. It also  means creating backstories, family trees and making up cultural differences between the 3 nations. The basic plan is to give my royal family some same level playmates, and it also gets easier to stir up some national conflicts :)

Empire of Snorthia got its territory, but also my jet-set sims got a new vacation destiny, thanks to Mt. Komorebi. Now that I got to explore this world and pack features (scratched the surface, only), it's amazing how well this pack fits with many features from other packs!

If you studied the world picture above, you noticed that I already edited two lots. The right side lot in the snowy hood is the royal estate, known as the Sloth Palace.

The Sloth Palace is seen in the background. I'll introduce the Emperor and his household later.

Their first palace was built in the middle hood 200 years ago (on picture it is categorized as Museum), but they wanted a higher position. In hood view the palace looks massive, but in game the building is forever covered in snow, and feels less dominating.

The old Komorebi Palace is now a community center with Museum, Throne Room and Crypt.

I'll tell you more from the history in a future post, and I'm so excited because this time I feel I managed to create a national system including culture, classes and politics in a good way. Right now I just share some thoughts on how to improve this world by adding existing game features.

In a new world it is easy to find house interior and community lots rather dull. Oh no - not another Bar and Lounge with hardly any purpose? Then we must remember that the world is created based on only the features and objects of the base game and the new pack. That's why some fixing is always needed, which of course adds to the fun because it will also include some community planning.

City Living
Karaoke is of course big in Japan, so that is the first thing I added. The bar in the middle hood is quite small but cozy, so I like to keep it for a while. Added the smallest karaoke machine there, without much extras except a few worn armchairs and a loveseat. The lot is quite big though, so this might improve later on if stories direct me to some buying the place to modernize it.

Gotta love this worn bar. So many rooms! I added a tea room upstairs.

The lot is now categorized as Karaoke bar, but I know that even NPCs would have used the feature even if it was not (tried that only with restaurant lots though), the singing will just not be a constant thing and there won't be any contests.

Talking about Karaoke... Look who turned up! I've now created her local parents and brother...

Btw: After running into Miko Ojo I created her old parents and a brother, pretending she grew up here. The elderly woman singing karaoke (prev. picture) is Miko's mother :)

This pack also contains many good BB/CAS items with a strong Asian vibe.

Spa Day
Next on my list of adjustments is Wellness. Mt. Komorebi is based on the corner of the RL world where Zen is a very old tradition. I don't think of yoga as typical Japanese, but meditation might tick the box. So, with centauries and Zen gardens, I will add at least a meditation stool on several community lots. The first lot to adjust though is the Onsen Bathhouse. When my jet-set sims visit Onsen, they will find most of the Spa pack features including massages. The Spa pack will make wonders in this world! Many objects and clothes are also fine to use in private homes.

Get Famous
Celebrities will of course travel to Mt. Komorebi, but I think there is also a nice koi pond in that pack, that suits this pack perfectly. Koi is typical Japanese, and at least a handful lots in this world needs to have a koi pond :)

Dine Out
When my rich sims travel this far to do some Winter sports and visit the Onsen, they will of course expect to find at least one restaurant! I have the Dine Out pack, and although some say it's glitchy, it normally works for me. Now that I learned that the Chef that is waiting forever until getting started cooking, can simply be reset to get working, there's no way Mt. Komorebi shall not have an Asian food restaurant. I can't wait to set the menu and dess up the Waiters in Kimonos. I wonder if the new low dining table will work with restaurants? Guess I will find out. I think one of the rental homes of the snowy hood will be a good option.


 Vending machines is fine, but hey - what about a restaurant?

I might actually equip it like a small hotel/guesthouse, with a couple beds on 2nd floor (can't wait to check their view!). As a visitor you can always sleep on a community lot, if door can't be looked I'll just ignore that. EA not giving us hotels never stopped me - I already have hotels in Tartosa and Magnolia Promenade.

My Wedding Stories
I think it would be fun to have one more far away destination for weddings. And going to Mt. Komorebi for your wedding might be fun. I did not yet decide what religion might fit with this world, but I think a modern wedding room with no full scaled chapel will work just fine.

The existing Lounge in the lower hood can get a wedding room with the arch and champagne etc in one half. while I'll keep the bar and piano/mic section - perhaps with the addition of a Karaoke machine - how cute to watch the newly wed couple sing a duet!

I did some research on Kimono, and although I'll have to simplify it a bit I think we got a base game kimono-ish outfit that looks very old and traditional (perhaps with a hint of old China). I think it would be fun offering wedding couples to wear such historical outfits - obviously not for everyone, but some travelers that are less stuck to their homely culture might find it cool. And there could be a wall in he Lounge with "thank you" wedding photos from those couples...

Oh! And I almost forgot - the tea set from My Wedding Stories is of course a must!

Get To Work
With that pack we got the Photo Studio object. I created several additional backdrops since then, but now I think the original cherry blossom backdrop is perfect for Mt. Komorebi! I will add a basement to the Lounge including a photo studio where the blooming cherry tree (Outdoors) is ready and waiting. If couples travel alone, I'll just add a random NPC to the household to have someone take their picture, but some times I guess they will travel her together with a few friends that were temporarily added or family already part of household.


I'm looking forward to set a system for use of the kimono. Check back for kimono guide later :) 

I also thought of adding a small tattoo shop. Not sure yet, but it will be easy just pretending the tattoos are done there, and then give the sim a new tattoo in CAS. I never focused a lot on tattoos, but I think it would be more fun if knowing where the sim got it. And, I do believe tattoos should be huge in Mt. Komorebi :)

I often add some extra function at the corner of a community lot. Will this be the local tattoo shop?


ECO Lifestyle
Somehow I think lots of content from this pack could fit well with a modern Mt. Komorebi. I think the lots are too limited to focus a lot on modern households, but that EP includes the Soy bean - doesn't soybean feel kind of Japanese-ish? This plant origins from East Asia, and of course it must be commonly grown in Mt. Komorebi. I've already picked a small house to make a living from farming soy beans :)

Cottage Living
I believe rabbits can feel natural in this world, especially in Wakabi. And perhaps a wild fox in the snowy hood?

Farm animals like chicken and cows should also fit well, but unfortunately most lots are too small. I'll probably skip cows and just add a few chickens. I guess eggs can be useful when cooking local dishes :)


This little farm house will grow soybeans, and they already got some  chickens. "- Hm, was that my owner?"

All over the game, I come across items that we had for ages, that has an Asian flair. They  are perfect for this world. I'm a bit disappointed that the Sunflower Festival is not part of the pack, it is a big tradition in Japan. We already have a few deco items involving sunflowers, but this would have been the perfect opportunity to grow sunflowers.

I need to explore the local culture a bit more. I already vaguely made up a few families, and a system where each family is protected by one flower specie. There is also a few social classes (I think they will be based on family goodwill and efforts more than wealth and buyable status, though. And, this culture will be extremely patriarchal - even the queen consort has no place in the top class. I include a few elements from other Asian cultures, such as Concubines, it won't get a lot of attention though, but will help the Emperor to avoid the strict birth restriction laws... 

I want this Empire of Snorthia to be a bit different than my Mazaloom kingdom. I already have a travels agency in my game (Way 2 Go Travels - cool name?), and even a tour guide. I think Mt. Komorebi seems like a wonderful place to bring a group of tourists either as a temporary household, or by arranging a club event (Get Together EP required).


My travels agency "Way 2 Go Travels" will definitely provide guided tours to Mt. Komorebi!


So much to explore in Snowy Escape. I realize I missed a lot waiting two years to grab this pack! And, I must have missed some more features that will come handy in this world. Feel free to add below!

1 comment: