Welcome! :) On this blog you will find stories, how i play and videos created with The Sims 4, but also a few projects from older game versions can be found in the Archive. The old TS3 stories have their own blogs. Most long going stories have a main page with index of updates.

Check out Simmerville's Youtube channel!

I'm no longer on Tumblr! I refused to give all their 3rd parties unlimited access to my computer. Link still works, but no updates.

News May 2022: Mazaloom History Book.

Thursday 10 September 2020

Nifty Knitting - short review

(The Sims 4 Stuff Pack) Yes, I love this little community voted pack! It might not be adding the bold content to my game, but it's actually perfect for adding those small bits of realism. It really feels like a personal interest and hobby, or it could of course be seen as a way to make a very small living. I use it for both.

Pilots can knit, too!

Although this pack has limited content, I have not yet explored it all. It will take me a while to have sims reach the top skill level as I rarely play any house for more than a couple simdays in my rotational routine.


I could have used cheats to unlock beanies, sweaters, pot hangers, socks, baby clothing, toys, rugs and more, but what would the point be then? I have more fun by making those items a bit unique, giving them only to households with active knitters. I love the plant hangers, toys and the knitted floor rugs, but the other items I don't need in a hurry, so I won't need that cheat.

I find it very relaxing watching a sim knit, and I must admit I tried hard not giving them all the option to have this hobby. Luckily, they need to have the yarn basket in their inventory to access the activity. The animations are all over great, including teaching the art of knitting to others. Yes, children can knit too!

In my game there is of course already a "Nifty Knitters" club (requires Get Together EP). Members gather to knit, and although it takes a while before any of the NPC members will start knitting, my active member will use the gathering to build her/his skills. Besides, it's a fun activity at community lots :) They often gather at the Windenburg Library, seated in front of the "Reasearch & Debate" podium, in hope of someone giving a debate or speech while they are there. Knitters are multitaskers, too!

Zilla Brox, single mother of 3 young sons needs privacy to get her projects done.

But most sims try to get away at home, for long enough to complete a knitting project. It's funny that most pictures I took were at night, might be the only time a home maker can find that time? Zilla Brox, located at Willow Field in Gloomville, obviously uses the toilet as a crafting room, well - she might work better behind locked doors?

Some males are into this hobby as well, mostly elders, though. Carlos Egan lives in Oasis Springs with his teen daughter, and recently he was widowed. Btw he is the brother and neighbor of Councilor Josue E. Rosewood.

Going for a swim at Desert Bloom Park, or simply bathing your feet while knitting?

Another main feature of the Nifty Knitting stuffpack is Plopsy, the online service where you easily can sell not only knitted projects but most things that can be found in a sim's inventory. Woodwork, photos, paintings and more. You will make a little more than selling in the old way, but it might take a day or two before a customer contacts you. I've read that you make a bigger profit by time, and I assume it should be quite easy to make a living from selling on Plopsy.

A super great feature is that you can also buy stuff on Plopsy! This way you might be lucky to get hold of knitted work without having the required skills to craft it yourself. You can also buy several goods from ECO Lifestyle (candles, dye etc).

Knitted projects also make for great gifts! You gift them through the personal gift option, and the receiver can add clothes to their wardrobe to wear beanies, socks and sweaters. I think it adds to a household's story line to have a floor rug that was knitted by granny who passed away some years ago.

I was hoping that knitted goods could be sold in a gift retail store. Some probably can, but it gets a bit more complicated than selling regular items from BB catalog. I have not checked these details yet, but perhaps I'll just leave it to Plopsy.

This pack also offers new furniture, mostly with a knitting interest, but perfect for a granny's house or a crafting room. i love the rocking chair, just wish the 4 versions were not based on the exact same style. Some desk and wall hanging items go well in stores and offices as well. There was some critiques suggesting there are too many pastel swatches in this pack, and I totally agree - I really don't understand why a pack like this needs to have a color scheme at all. There are a few non-pastel versions included, but you will need to scroll through 95% pastel swatches to find them. I'd buy the pastels idea if pastels was a typical thing for a granny's home, but it is not. I never visited a RL granny home where pastels dominated. As far as I know pastels as a trend was a biggie in the 80s, and not even grannies who were young back then care much for pastels today...

If you are still on the fence, I'd say the knitting hobby + Plopsy + rocking chair is worth the cost, unless you mostly play outer space, criminals or hard rockers - oh, I forgot to mention the heavy metal radio station - if you play hard rockers knitting might be right up your alley!

No comments:

Post a Comment