Welcome! :) On this blog you will find stories, how i play and videos created with The Sims 4, but also a few projects from older game versions can be found in the Archive. The old TS3 stories have their own blogs. Most long going stories have a main page with index of updates.

Check out Simmerville's Youtube channel!

I'm no longer on Tumblr! I refused to give all their 3rd parties unlimited access to my computer. Link still works, but no updates.

News May 2022: Mazaloom History Book.

Monday 9 August 2021

Our Brand New Farm Life - Week 1 of 3 (Spring)

(Year 227, Spring) In a new mini series we'll follow a family of 7 moving from a tiny rented flat in San Myshino, all the way to Henford-on-Bagley. It's not only a long distance to travel, but also an extreme change to how they live their lives. There will be 3 parts each representing one week, starting with the dreams & moving, then there will be improvement of farm and routines and blending into the local community, and finally a quick summing it all up.

OBS: The first part is a long read, come back with a cup of tea when you got the time needed, or prepare for just scrolling the pictures. The next two chapters will be shorter.

This Fall, head of the household will be guesting the HIP Studio show, that will return!

But first - let's get to know this big household!

Antoinette Morck (42) might ring a bell with many, well known from co-hosting the annual Reg12 NEWS. However, she is more of a private person, and never worked hard on building fame beyond the expected minimum. Not many knew that she lives together with Salim Benali (51), and that they over 6 years had a total of 5 kids!

- Yes, our family grew rapidly, and I must confess it was not well planned as there were two twin births. Salim and I moved from his old rented room in Arts Quarters to a slightly bigger flat in Fashion District, but frankly - one small bedroom was not enough for 5 youngsters. Now that the oldest girls started school, and the twin boys are about to start school as well, it was indeed time to break up.

Our rented flat was way too cramped for a household of 7.


- Why a Farm in Henford-on-Bagley?

- Well, both Salim and I want our children to get a great childhood. That could of course be achieved in the city, too, but we found no vacant apartment, and the more we looked the clearer it got that we would prefer a house with a garden. One day I heard that the Moo-moo Cow Farm was vacant! I always worked with Media and have no farming experience. Salim is a Writer and made it very clear that he will have nothing to do with the cows. So, I though I could give it a try, milking and caring for one cow would still give time for working with media, right? And Salim's attention raised when I suggested that the country side might bring him a new Muse - he has not yet managed to break through with his poems, and I don't blame him - it's very hard to get anything published these days.

- And the children were thrilled?

- Absolutely! At least Mangela (7) and Selinda (7). They will need to travel to Britechester for schooling, but because they will go there as a group, we don't worry. The other three, Joshua (5), Conny (5) and Boblo (1) are too young to understand, but we are sure they will like it.

The plan is of course that the older children can help a little at the farm, but we will know more once we have seen the location.

- And now you packed and were ready to move?

- We packed already. We owned nothing fancy but with a  new bank loan and no guaranteed income but some royalties from my old video productions, we will bring our old city flat stuff at least for a start. We'll need a tight budget and go slowly from there, with some luck we will be able to upgrade the essentials within these three weeks.

I had totally forgotten about this! Someone died in this flat! Now I think they might have died from too little space.

Leaving the old flat felt like the right thing to do. The bus trip* to Henford-on-Bagley was a busy experience bringing 2 kids and 3 toddlers - Salim stated that at least we didn't have to bring a cow, too - ha!

So, I have agreed on sharing my diary for our first 3 week with this blog. It will be a joint project with my own Media updates - more updates can be found on my social media, where I plan to show my followers what farm life is - I brought my old drone!

*) This is a not-in-game thing.


1st Week - day 1

The bus took forever, and it was nearly midnight when we arrived Moo-moo Cow Farm at Old-New-Henford. Kids were starving and tired, but we had to unpack to arrange their beds before anyone could go to sleep.

Although the farm was about §65.000, the main house was much bigger than I expected. Salim doesn't care a lot about extra rooms or not, as long as there is a quiet spot where he can write his poems.

We had to unpack before we could go to sleep, and I realized that our city furniture is anything but cottage core... 

I was happy to see that the living room and kitchen were spacious, compared to our rented city flat this house was a castle! Two additional rooms downstairs that I think will become my new studio and a fun room for the kids, at least for now, and on 2nd floor there are 3 big bedrooms, each with their own bathroom! Such a luxurious home, if it wasn't for the lack of furniture!

Anyway, it's way too late and we all need some sleep. Will show you the outdoors and purchase the cow tomorrow!


1st Week - day 2

Our first morning at Moo-moo Cow Farm came with Spring rain. Conny woke us up at 6 AM, he probably had a nightmare. I forgot to check if moving can actually be traumatic to a toddler, I though they were too young to mind such things as a long travel or a new bedroom. Salim was angry from not getting a long night's sleep, but the girls were excited to join me exploring the farm. I suggested that it might be more fun with more daylight after the rain, but they insisted.

And I insisted on eating breakfast before doing anything! Salim went back to sleep, and Mangela and Selinda joined me cooking.

The kitchen is great, although I must confess I hate the wallpapers. Both Salim and I prefer clean, one colored walls - it's definitely not the cottage core that brought us here. But the girls loved it, and we can't focus on replacing wallpapers quite yet, anyway. Funds are limited, and I have no idea if we can even make a living from selling the milk from one cow! My Media income is good at times, but it varies a lot and I don't yet know how much time I will find for making new videos. Salim has never made much money from selling his poems.

The former owner left behind a picnic basket and some gardening pots - and some trash.

Next to the kitchen there is a pantry with a door leading to the garden behind the house. I know from reading the prospect that the cow will stay back there, and there is also a spot reserved growing a little food. I don't mind purchasing all we need for cooking, if we can afford it. 7 household members might need more food than I can imagine, so perhaps we will also grow just a little to keep the costs down a bit. We should rather spend our money on upgrading the indoors. The former owner left us his dining table, but we have no dining chairs. I guess stuff that we'll make use of everyday must have priority.

And the girls and I were ready to explore the outdoors!


Right outside the backdoor is a small fenced in area prepared for produce. Only some mushrooms were growing there already, but I will visit Finchwick village square later today to grab some seeds. I'm glad the gardening plot was small, because I don't intend becoming a rea l farmer. The Moo-moo Cow Farm is obliged to produce and deliver milk, meaning the cow will be our first priority.


Mangela wants us to grow berries, and Selinda wants to grow sweets. I don't think they realize yet that they will be involved with the hard work, because their mom will not be helping them, except probably harvest whatever will show up!


Next garden room is a small fruit orchard. I have no idea what those tree trees will produce, but I intend to find out. There's no fruit yet, so I might save that for tomorrow.

The old garden bench looked rather worn and too old for my taste, but I can always paint it, I guess. Sitting in the orchard watching the fountain, or actually do some yoga in there, might be a good way to waste some of my spare time.

But that was when I realized there might be no such thing as spare time...

Mangela shouted and I could not believe I had not realized it earlier. She asked in which of the four sheds the cow will live, and of course - a milk delivering farm will not have just one cow! Looks like I will be tending not just one cow but FOUR!!! Hey, why was that number not revealed in the prospect? The farm is already tied to a long term contract that we can not affect, and I will probably need to handle this by myself until Mangela and Selinda become teenagers, and they can help.

Then Selinda shouted excitedly. - Mom, look a wild animal! Can we keep it?

It was a fox, it looked rather friendly, but how do we keep a wild fox? I told the girls that they should not ask me, but the fox...

I had no choice but ordering 3 cows for a start. They were costly, I don't want to spend all our cash, so will hold back on the fourth cow for as long as possible. The girls did not even dare entering the gate, they watched me from a safe distance - together with the fox.

As I wanted to just check on the toddlers and Salim, I was surprised by a group of visitors. They were locals who heard about the farm having new owners, and they wanted to meet and greet. I did not really have the time, but I figured it would be useful building a good relation. Later on I might need their help in some way or another.

They were all from this hood, the Butler from Rossie Palace, David Watson, head of the Watson Chicken Farm, Thomas Watson (David's brother), and finally the farmer at Olde Mill Farm, Pivian Mox. I learned that the chicken farm and the Moo-moo farm (my farm) has an old local agreement of exchanging some milk and eggs. I also learned that the Olde Lane Farm is owned by the Rossie Palace and that Pivian Mox pay rent by delivering produce to the palace.

After an hour of local chit chat, I politely excused myself as I had to visit the village while the stalls were open (a white lie, as I had plenty of time for that...). I wisely avoided to inform them that my partner was probably still asleep inside at 12:30 PM.

- Hello stranger. Would you take my advice? Oh well..., nothing.... 

I haggled successfully and achieved a 25% discount! That was much needed, now that I will buy stuff to plant. Thanks to the discount I wisely bought some extra food ingredients, I assume that will be cheaper than ordering delivery or the general food-via-fridge delivery system. We don't plan for a simple living, but I'll save Simoleons wherever the option is.

Heading back home to plant and to tend our three new cows.


Back home at the Moo-moo farm, I planted bell pepper, onion, potato, green pea, raspberry... was that all? This was exactly what I did not plan to do, but I guess a certain farmer vibe is affecting me. Better be safe than hungry. Then I checked on the family...


Mangela and Selinda had been spying on the cows most of the afternoon. Joshua was riding one of the rocking chairs, while I couldn't find Conny - Salim said our active toddler had been running outside all evening.


Talking about kids... Salim must be the biggest of them all. I found him playing a computer game while the youngest, Boblo, was starving right aside! - I'll pay more attention if I get some privacy to write, you know how I work!

Right! While he continued playing his computer game, I ran outside to tend to our 3 cows.


The sheds were already partly dirty, but that must wait until tomorrow. None of them had food, though, which took me a while and also means spending more money. Then I had to build some sort of relation to them, or I suspect the milking won't be easy. The brown cow obviously doesn't like me, I better sort that out tomorrow. And it struck me - we should give them names. That might be a smart way to involve the kids, they could have one cow each. Naming their cow could build the much needed tie.

Well, gotta end my diary for today. I'm sure there will be more new stuff to learn tomorrow. We are short on cash - only §815 left, but hopefully there will be some milk to sell tomorrow!


1st Week - day 3

Today we got some sunny weather! This place really looks nice in Spring - Salim should not need to look far to find his new artistic  Muse! But I already realize that it will be a tough job running the farm alone.


Girls were late for school because they were way too hungry to skip breakfast. We better improve on our eating routine - if only Salim could take on the cooking chores! On a positive note, when he finally got out of bed, dressed up for whatever reason - he cleaned the kitchen! I simply had to show him some gratitude, it might encourage him to do more around here.


My main subject for today is the milk delivery. I'm supposed to deliver regularly, and I intend to do it daily for a start, because we need the cash ASAP. But I also need to say something about our finances, because today our first bills were delivered!


The sum to pay is §2,203. That is way more than I expected, but I heard that the first bills on a new address might differ from future bills. But then our royalties ticked in - 6 of my video productions still pay off, I got a total of §893. Salim got some royalty as well, for some minor poems that he got published in co-written books a few years ago, §268 in total. So, our new cash balance is about §2,000 - before we even sell any milk. We'll manage to pay those bills, but will we also get those dining chairs that we need? And new beds for Joshua and Conny? It will be their birthday in only two days!


Well, I finally headed for the cow sheds. I was still tired and quite tense, and I was not at all looking forward to milking 3 cows for the first time ever. I could have asked a neighbor for guidance *, but neither the Watsons nor Mox have cows. Asking the Rossie Palace for assistance would be lame, honestly!

I named the sheds Moo-moo A, B, C and D. I first tried to comfort them a bit, but I was too nervous, and I think they could tell. I finally had to give in, and started with the spotted cow at shed C. She allowed me to have her milk, and I was so glad to have succeeded on first try. I did not enjoy it much, though, but that might be because I've grown into a city lass.

However the spotted cow in shed A obviously hates me, just like the brown cow in shed B does. She kicked the bucket, and interrupted my efforts. I tried to calm her down, then had another go, but the failure was repeated.


I was just way to tense! And I think it had to do with the toddlers being left to themselves for so long. Salim is just not up to it! I realize that milking a cow is no good idea when being this tense - I need ways to calm down and entertain myself! I asked Salim to tell me something funny, and he tried - but I did not find his jokes funny at all. So, I turned to our Bubbletron 5000, a blessing that we brought from the city. It makes me relax a bit, but I can't relay on this treatment as a daily part of my milking routine! Or, can I?


I told Selinda and Mangela that I was too tired to milk all the cows and about the exciting new cow rules. The first to milk a cow who was not already named, will decide its name! I already named the spotted in shed C, Clara. I forgot to tell them that naming a cow would mean you'd need to milk it also for the next years to come. I'll tell them tomorrow.


My strategy worked. The girls ran outside, spied on the cows some more, tried to decide which one was the nicest, and not the least, discussed the most beautiful names they could think of. None of them were in a good mood, though, Selinda being sad from a school bus event, and Mangela being quite angry.


Finally, they realized that action was key to naming a cow. Selinda chose the brown in shed B, and Mangela the spotted in shed A. Would the cows allow for a sad or angry person to have the milk?


It worked! They both succeeded, and proudly the spotted cow was named Pinky, and the brown Princess...

It's great to know the girls can help with the cows! Today we got 18 bottles of excellent milk, but the grocery stall was closed, so I'll sell 15 of them tomorrow. Bills can wait!


1st Week - day 4

I thought our 4th day would  be a breeze, but Conny woke me up at 4 AM, and from there it only got worse. I had to serve the toddlers some leftovers, before joining Mangela and Selinda milking. I succeeded milking Clara, and Mangela got along with Pinky after several tries, but Selinda had no luck and I saw she was getting very uncomfortable with it all. They were already 1 hour late for school, and I had to let them go. Besides, I was exhausted in all possible ways.


When I returned to the house to get some sleep, I found a note from Salim saying he had travelled to San Myshuno for a writing related meeting. I suspect he simply escaped from this chaos - had he only told me when he would be back, I could have planned my day, but no. I don't see how I can go to the village to deliver our milk, being alone with the 3 toddlers. They might offer daycare around here, but I see it as wasting our money. I'll simply deal with my own needs until the girls get back home. I hope Princess won't get harmed from not being milked quite yet.

Anyway, or daily royalties ticked in, and I was able to pay the bills even before selling any milk. That's a  victory, I guess.

Today I intended sharing some pictures from the vegetable plot, but unfortunately there was nothing to be harvested. I suspect that someone is stealing our produce, I better keep my eyes open. *It's also a very clouded and dark day, not perfect for taking pictures anyway.


And, I don't feel good at all. I need to rest, which is not easy while 3 toddlers are roaming this place, I simply can't tend to each of them, like I should. I'm glad Joshua and Conny will start school shortly, we will throw a party for them tomorrow. I might even invite my elderly parents over from Oasis Springs.

Knowing that Princess was not milked this morning, doesn't help a bit. At 6:30 PM Mangela still had not milked her, so I had to travel to Finchwick with 30 milk bottles that we stored already. 


It brought in §660, not as much as I hoped as this was nearly the production for two days.

- Two days? Kim Goldenberg asked. - But you are obliged to deliver 20 bottles ever day! That's 5 per cow, daily!
- Oh... four cows? We only have 3...
- Well, that is against the contract, mind you! You are my main milk agent. I'll not inform the Farming Directory if you get the fourth cow during this week. If next week comes and you still deliver less than 20 bottles a day, you will be fined.
- Thank you, Kim!
- Oh, by the way, Antoinette... You should consider a longer dress... here in Henford a mother of 5 kids do not wear skirts above her knees, without becoming the talk of town. And that might not benefit you much, hon! Please check with Agnes Crumplebottom  for details.

I returned back home with a total of §2,086 and all bills paid. I bought 7 dining chairs (with tomorrow's birthday party in mind), and our cash is now §1,431. Well, this week still has a couple days left. And right now I suddenly got a new problem to deal with - a horrible itching skin disease! My life seems to be full of challenges these days - I have not made one single media production since I moved to Henford. There's simply no time, and no energy.


1st Week - day 5

This Spring morning I got up 5:30 AM to harvest mushrooms, parsley and strawberries. It was important securing the crops before the possible thief shows up. Could it be one of the neighbors?


Well, today our focus will be on the twins' birthday. Joshua and Conny starts school tomorrow, and we'll have my elderly parents over to celebrate. I also hope to have a couple pictures taken for the wall.

But first I baked a bread and had breakfast with the girls.


I realize that my milk strategy is about to fail big time. It's not right to force the girls to milk the cows before attending school. This far they have not done their homework once, and they often leave for school in a bad mood. Should they rather clean the sheds after school? Then they can milk their cow on weekends.

I told them I will no longer expect them to milk their cows, Princess and Pinky, before school. I will deal with it during the early day, if they can clean all the sheds during the evening. No protests.


I got myself some rest, and before I got tense again I cleaned and milked both Pinky and Princess successfully. I also milked Clara, the cow named by me, but I did not have energy to clean her or her shed. I needed some more rest before baking a cake for today's big event - the twin boys' birthday.

When my parents arrived all the way from Oasis Springs, I noticed Joshua and Boblo were rather skeptical. Dad, Johnny Zest (74), was quite angry about there being no light at the front door! Mom,  Sissela Morck (76), rushed inside to play a video game. I know they are still poor, although I and my two brothers moved out long ago, and that they never wasted money on such games.

I can't believe that I didn't introduce them to their grandchildren much earlier! San Myshuno is even closer to Oasis Springs, it would have been easier for everyone!

Well, my lovely twin boys aged up, and we got everything set up for a nice family photo. I saw a local advertisement *: A photographer could attend our home for a set price, including several copies of one or more photos. I would never had ordered his service if I knew the price would be shocking §500!

Salim (51) and me, Antoinette (42) seated, Selinda and Mangela (7) on the left, Conny and Joshua (5)
on the right with Boblo (1). My parents Jonny Zest (74) and Sissela Morck (76) on back row.

Now we got 5 copies, one large that we'll keep, and I'll gift a medium copy to my parents and 2 brothers. He even convinced me to buy a camera. I should rather have spent those Simoleons on a new outdoor lamp to please dad.

End of this day our cash balance is §703. Most costs had no relation to the cows though. I understand that we need to get the 4th cow rather soon, I might hold back until day 7 of this week.


1st Week - day 6

The day after the birthday party was sunny. I felt much more relaxed now that 4 of our kids left for school in the morning, and only little Boblo needed our attention. Then it should be possible to get something done! But guess what? My partner Salim left for a city meeting again, leaving Boblo to me! I need to find a way for Salim to work from home, at least until our youngest starts school.


But first I harvested mushroom, parsley and strawberries. I think it would be wise preserving some of it, no idea if strawberries ever spoils (?), but neither will canned strawberry jam. I think I'm skilled enough to check it out, it might be smart filling some of those pantry shelves.

Also had a look at that worn garden bench. It might be time to paint it - could it be a suitable job for Salim? After all he is the creative soul around here.

 

Now that we got 4 young students, their education will take more of our focus. Neither Salim nor myself are career hunters, and we want our kids to choose for themselves. But everything will be easier if they at least get a decent graduation - otherwise there will hardly be any further educations for them to choose from. After dinner Salim helped Conny with his first homework. I noticed both Selinda and Mangela had a school project waiting for some time, perhaps we should all help them with that tomorrow?

But tomorrow we will also need to buy the fourth cow, and I will force Salim to make some decisions for his Writer profession.


- I can not tend the cows while I look after Boblo. Tomorrow you must come up with a solution. Your city meetings have become a big problem to us! You will need to find a way to work more from home.


1st Week - day 7

I think we'll have a good end of our first week. This morning was spectacular in the milking department! I vase tense, but still managed to milk all three cows! Maybe I got the right grip, finally? 


I also had time to upload a few selfies with Clara and Princess.


My followers adored it! I must remember to make more content for my social profile!


Afterwards I spent an hour  with more social media updates. I like our tiny office nook, that we brought from the city flat, but I think we should buy more desks, the kids need to do their homework.

Yes, on that corkboard is a card from the MIDDLE Party, where I am a Core Group member. I did not succeed in the Year 225 Election, and frankly I think my ambitions are lacking. Green politics stand  close to my heart, though, and moving to this farm feels perfect in the bigger picture.


I traveled to Finchwick to sell 50 bottles of milk. I know I could have waited till tomorrow's Fair to gain 10% extra, but with 4 cows there might be 20 more bottles tomorrow anyway.

Outside the pub I ran into the Duke of Rossie! I was star struck and asked for his autograph! And I got it! He is the boss over at the Rossie Palace, just across the river from our Moo-moo Cow Farm! I told him we are neighbors, but he was to busy  writing his fine name.

Later this day I gather the entire household in the fruit tree orchard. It's Love Day today, and I was curious to see if Salim had surprised me  by painting the garden bench, but no.


Well, I told everyone that we did very well in our first week, and that there will be more chores next week. I also told Joshua and Conny that one of them will be caretaking the 4th cow that will arrive tonight or tomorrow morning, and the other one will get some responsibility in the vegetable garden. My plan is to save the orchard for Boblo.

Then I informed them  about the  picture I got from the Duke of Rossie, our neighbor, and the kids were thrilled to see it. I said it would be possible when I returned from a quick visit to the Watson Chicken Farm.


Selinda decided to join me as I paid Thomas Watson a visit. I brought 2 bottles of milk, which he appreciated very much, Then he wanted to show us the chickens, but I said we really could not stay that long.

Back home the entire household bar little Boblo rushed upstairs to admire the noble autograph. I told them that the Duke and Duchess have several sons and that some of them probably just started school. Perhaps we can go up the hill to admire the Palace next week!


Then I got aware that our tiny desk and computer was missing!

- I moved them, Salim said. - I found my perfect work at the farm office nook for writing poems!

Really? So he did listen after all.

- I'll show you something, Antoinette! Come!

He took my hand and dragged me outside and towards the old little barn that we hardly explored yet. Was he up to something frisky regarding Love Day?


Then he opened the side door, and I saw the desk was in there!

- This is my new writing abode, he declared. - I already locked the computer, From now on I'm the only one to use it.
- But I need it for my media profile!
- No, not anymore. As soon as I get a better computer and office equipment, you will have the old desk back. We'll shop something for my office tomorrow!

Well, at this point I was ready to go to bed - alone. We do have §4,600 after purchasing the fourth cow. I was hoping for desks for everyone, but we might find some money for Salim's new office, too.


2 comments:

  1. Anonymous10/8/21 17:56

    I love this family and their story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you!!! I was afraid that the world's longest post would be too much. So glad to know someone enjoyed it!

      Delete